Another glimpse at an early rescue brigade comes with the loan of this old photograph from Frank Edwards, a gateman at Allerton Bywater Workshops.
From 1917, it shows the Allerton Bywater Colliery Rescue Brigade, including Frank's father F. H. Edwards, who is pictured with the saw, just to the right of the instructor, W. Riley.
The other brigades men are (left to right); T. Paley, captain; J. Street and A. Robinson, sub-captain.
At the time, the colliery was owned by the New Silkstone and Haigh Moor Coal Company.