Information and photographs submitted by subscribers are posted in good faith. If any copyright of anyone else's material is unintentionally breached, please email me

EmailInquest Reports From Newspapers
Re Gedling Colliery Fatal Accidents

Page 13

Can you add to the Database – Please let me know.


Inquests Annesley Bestwood Bentinck Cossall Gedling High Park Hill Top Kirkby
  Lodge New Hucknall Moorgreen Newstead Shireoaks Trowell Moor Worsop Main Underwood

Fatal Accident No 90

Nottingham Journal Friday 20-06-1947

Gedling Fatality

Henry Jenkins a 25 year old Beeston miner, fatally injured in Gedling pit on Tuesday, died from a fractured skull after he was accidentally crushed between two tubs decided the jury at yesterday’s Carlton inquest. Jenkins home was at 41, Villa Street Beeston, Mr C A Mack the Nottingham deputy Coroner sat with a jury.

Fatal Accident No 91

Nottingham Guardian Wednesday 14-04-1948

Trapped by Tubs, Verdict on Carlton Man

The Nottingham City Coroner (Mr W S Rothera) yesterday resumed the inquiry into the death of Ernest Wright, 28, miner of 98, Portland Road, Carlton, who was trapped by tubs at Gedling Colliery on Monday. Wright died two hours after admission to the Nottingham General Hospital the same day. The jury returned a verdict that deceased died from “Multiple Fractures of the skull “sustained when he was accidently trapped between two tubs.

Fatal Accident No 92

Nottingham Guardian Wednesday 02-06-1948

Gedling Miners Death, Accident that Nobody Saw

“No one saw this accident so what happened we shall never know” said the Nottinghamshire District Coroner (Mr C A Mack) at the inquest yesterday at Carlton on John Hopwood, 28, miner of 43, Forest Road East, Nottingham, who was found with fatal stomach injuries in the airlock at Gedling Colliery on Friday 21st May. Since he was discharged from the Army on medical grounds, deceased had complained of bouts of dizziness said the widow, Mrs Gladys Hopwood. An employee at the colliery said that Hopwood had told him his dizziness was due to Malaria, contracted in the Middle East, as a result he had been given the lightest job possible, that of operating the doors on the haulage system. When found by a stableman Hopwood was clutching his stomach and saying “oh it’s here” then he collapsed. He died from severe internal Haemorrhage caused by a rupture of the liver.

Fatal Accident No 93

South Nott’s Echo Saturday 25-02-1950

Killed at Gedling

No Evidence to Show How Accident Happened

(25, Portland Road Carlton)

At an inquest held at Leenside Nottingham. Last Friday afternoon a panel jury of nine men together with Deputy City Coroner, Mr A C G Rothera, returned a verdict of that Albert Charles Griffin, died on Wednesday, 8th February from injuries received while at work in the Gedling Colliery, where he was employed as a ganger. The inquest was opened and adjourned a week previously, when the deceased’s brother, Mr Reg Griffin, gave evidence of identification. He told the Coroner that he last saw his brother alive on Monday 6th February and next saw him at the Nottingham General Hospital where he had been taken after the accident, and was present when he died at eleven fifty pm on the Wednesday. Dr John Gabriel Crummings of the Nottingham General Hospital gave evidence that Griffin was suffering from a fracture dislocation of the spine, and paralysed in both the arms, and legs. There was a minor laceration on the forehead, and death was due to injuries consistent with his head forced forward onto his chest. Mr G. Brackner, of Killisick road, Coppice road, Arnold, the deputy in charge of the district in Gedling Colliery where the accident occurred, said that Griffin was employed on driving a pony drawing tubs. There were never more than two tubs on a train and there was a general rule that no one was to ride on the tubs, though it had been done unofficially from time to time. Mr Brackner was told that the accident had occurred, but when he arrived on the scene Griffen had been sent to the surface. The under manager at the Colliery Mr Arthur Lomas, of 151, Breckhill Road, Woodthorpe, told the Coroner that about ten am he was walking along the road on which Griffin was working when he heard him shout “come on” he walked a little further and found Griffin lying across the rails near a doorway. He was on his right side under the arch of the doorway. After unhitching the pony Griffin asked him to ease the side of his head which was lying on the ground. This he did before telephoning for assistance; Griffin had told him that the pony had pushed him as he was opening the door. He complained that his head was uncomfortable and he could feel nothing lower down. Mr Lomas said in his opinion if Griffin had been pushed by the pony he would have been lying in the opposite direction. Instructing the jury, Mr Rothera told them that there was no evidence to show how the accident happened and no evidence of any defect in the workings. Expressions of sympathy with the bereaved family were made by Mr G P Thompson manager of the Colliery and Mr C H Straw representing the N.U.M.

Fatal Accident No 94

South Nott’s Echo Saturday 25-02-1950

Killed at Gedling Colliery

Trapped by Scoop Buckets When Current Switched On

(10, St Michaels Avenue, Carlton)

A verdict of “Accidental death” was returned by the Nott’s District Coroner (Mr C A Mack) and a jury of seven at the Fox and Hounds Hotel, Carlton, on Thursday at an inquest on James Richard Horwood, aged 49, who died after an accident at Gedling Colliery where he was employed as a greaser. The jury added a rider to the effect that no blame could be attached to anyone. Evidence of identification was given by Mr Clifford Greaves, of 32, Mulberry Street, Bulwell, brother in law of the deceased. Dr. C Dickenson who conducted the post mortem examination found that Horwood had died from multiple injuries and shock. Alan Oswald Evans, of 12, Cooper Street, Netherfield deposed to the fact that he was in charge of the switchboard controlling the Washery machinery. When he went on the afternoon shift at two fifteen pm, the washery machinery was then in motion and Richard Spencer, whom he relieved said everything was in order. At two twenty five pm the load of coal stopped and he switched the machinery off. Ten minutes later the load of coal started again and he switched on the machinery, but heard shouts from the direction of the scoop buckets and switched off again and climbed to the top of the bucket where he found Horwood with his leg trapped in the machinery. The Washery foreman went for assistance while he and another man supported the injured man. Evans told the Coroner that it was the duty of anyone working on the buckets to place a warning board inscribed “Danger men at work” over the switchboard before starting work. The warning board was not in position when he switched on the machinery. Mr A F Fox, the washery foreman said that the bearings had been screeching for two days and he told Horwood to clean away the surplus grease and inspect the brushes,. Horwood had been employed as a greaser of the machinery for six months, and witness said reminded Horwood about the warning board a month earlier. Evans was not near when he gave the instructions. Since the accident he had experimented and found that if the warning board was in position, it would be difficult to operate the switches, and impossible to operate them without seeing the warning board. Asked if it would be an added safety measure if locks were fitted for use when anyone was working on the hopper buckets, Mr Fox said a warning board was an adequate precaution if people remembered to use it. Expressing sympathy with Mrs Horwood and daughter the Colliery Manager (Mr G P Thompson) paid tribute to the deceased as a good and conscientious workman. The expressions of sympathy were endorsed by Mr C H Straw representing the N.U.M. and the Coroner on behalf of the court.

Fatal Accident No 95

Nottingham Evening News Monday 27-10-1952

Mystery of Gedling Pit Death

How Harry Holland, 56, year old miner of 133, Cavendish Road, Carlton, died after an accident in Gedling Colliery on Thursday will always remain a mystery said Mr A C Mack at the inquest today. Mr Holland was doing his usual job said Mr Mack, hauling timber with his pit pony and trucks along perfectly clean rails. He exchanged a cheery word with fellow workmates and seemed quite happy. Then he was found by a derailed truck obviously in great pain, but with no external injuries to show how great the internal ones were. No one saw the accident; no one knew how it happened. The pony was quiet and the derailed truck was the last, and not the first, as is usual in pit accidents. Mr Holland was given first aid but died before reaching the surface. The coroner told the jury; “You might have some trouble on deciding your verdict, nobody can help you, I shall read the post mortem report in full, but you might find that does not help a lot”. Dr Kenneth S Dickenson of Arnold who had done the autopsy said the external injuries were merely bruises and scratches on the forehead and legs. The internal injuries however were very serious; every rib on the left side was broken and had penetrated the left lung, causing haemorrhage and finally coronary thrombosis. An “Open verdict” was recorded

Fatal Accident No 96

Guardian Journal 14-05-1953

Pit Accident Accelerated Miners Death

A colliery shot firer who was discharged from the Nottingham General Hospital on the morning of May 4th after five days in hospital following an accident, was taken home and died the same afternoon; it was stated at the Nottingham inquest yesterday on Cyril Walter Edmund Racey, 49, of 22, Bennett Road Mapperley. The coroner told the jury that Racey entered the hospital as the result of an injury on April 29th when he was struck on the head by a fall of stone while at work in Gedling colliery. The question they would have to answer was whether the cause of death was, in point of fact, related to the injury or, as might be suggested by medical evidence, death was from natural causes unconnected to the accident. The widow said she was asked by the hospital authorities on May 4th to take her husband’s clothing as he was to be discharged that morning. As we left the hospital he said it was useless for the hospital to discharge him, coroner this is not an enquiry into the hospitals action. He was fit to travel home wasn’t he? : Witness I suppose so. But you went home and there were no incidents on the way home? No. Mrs Racey said that from the moment they got home her husband was continually vomiting, he complained of pains in the head, he gave me the impression he was crazy with pain. She went for help and when she returned had got out of bed and she found him lying by the door. She sent for the doctor but her husband was dead on his arrival.

Regular Worker

Her husband had been a regular worker apart from time off for the last accident when he broke his heel. Dr. G.F.M.Hall, pathologist said he carried out a post mortem examination, and found no signs of external injuries to the body or head. He considered that death was due to Coronary Thrombosis and disease of the arteries of the heart. “While I found evidence of very slight bruising of the brain, this appeared to be quite unconnected to the death”. The doctor was asked by the foreman of the jury why Coronary Thrombosis was not detected at the hospital. He replied that it was not always easy to find. The coroner said it was an amazing coincidence that death had not been contributed to, or accelerated by the accident by the injuries received in the pit accident. I appreciate there might be room for doubt but other doctors were present at the examination, and they had come to the same conclusion. The jury returned a verdict that Racey died from Coronary Thrombosis considerably accelerated by the injuries received in the accident.