Ilkeston Mines Rescue Station, sometime around 1920. Shows railings before their removal during the war.
Philip and his young family moved into 11 Manners Avenue in 1954, just round the corner from the Rescue Station. Then as people left the station No. 67, one of the larger houses, one of the four cottages provided for married men and their families came vacant. It is the nearest house on the above photo.
The North Midland Coal Owners' Rescue Stations Co. Ltd Circa 1915
The Ilkeston Mines Rescue Station was situated in Manners Road, near the corner that used to lead to Manners Colliery, which was only a few hundred meters away.
The Buildings. The total frontage of the buildings was 270 feet. They consisted of the main block, which formed the training station, and on either side were two cottages, which were for four married men and their families. The whole building was an exact duplicate of the Chesterfield station.
On the ground floor of the main block were the instructor's office, duty room, charging room, apparatus room, liquid air plant room, dressing and drying rooms, store, spray baths and toilets. Adjoining the main building were the observation and drill halls, hose tower, recruits training gallery, garage and recreation room.
On the first floor was the Committee room and quarters for four single men, including kitchen, scullery, bathroom and two double bedrooms, with a balcony fronting them. The Recreation Room contained a full-size billiard table for the use of the members of the resident corps.
The basement provided the underground training gallery, gas testing chamber and boilers for the heating apparatus.
Training Galleries. Two galleries were provided - one for training recruits and one for fully trained men for practice purposes.
Pete Searson, station officer, on stretcher during a practice down the 'mine' at Ilkeston Miners Rescue Station. Phil Healey back right hand corner.
Top or Recruits' Gallery, on the ground floor, extended on three sides of the observation hall and was built and fitted on the usual lines, having a brazier at one end and an exhausting fan at the other. The latter was of the Sirocco type, 12-in. in diameter, and driven by a 1½ horsepower variable speed motor.
The emergency swing doors were fitted near to each other, and separated by a 15-in. pier on which the doors were swung. Thus there was little chance of an unconscious man falling unnoticed.
At one end of this gallery was a staple pit with a head gear and hoppit arrangement, which connected it with the extensive underground training gallery.
Leading to the top landing at the staple pit, a sloping roadway was fitted with a variable heightening arrangement.
In the underground gallery facilities were provided for reversing the direction of the smoke current and for varying the temperature of the air. Air-crossing, doors, stoppings, and a water sump were available, the latter for instructing the men in the use of the portable hand pump for dealing with underground fires. Only a few exit doors were provided in this gallery, thus making the training more practical and difficult.
Looking For Information To Help Develop An Ilkeston Mines Rescue Centre Heritage Project