|The Vicar's (Rev. Whinfield) undisputed right over the Cunnigree, comprising part of his Vicarial Glebe, led him in 1823 to engage a Mr Stenson to sink a pit within its bounds, with a view to taking out previously waterlogged coal.
Within 12 months, it was suspected that Stenson was working beyond the boundaries of the Glebe land into coals claimed by Messrs Mundy and Charlton. Joseph Swain, underground bailiff at Mundy's Shipley Collier, was despatched to inspect Stenson's workings and declared himself satisfied that they were contained within the boundaries of the Glebe land. He also drew to Whinfield's attention the feasibility of extending these workings beneath and adjacent to the site of the old Rectory, whereupon, in June 1824, Whinfield leased the coals under these premises from Edward Miller Mundy and William Charlton, who claimed them under an ancient privilege. By this time Stenson had taken in, as his partners in the enterprise, Messrs Henry and George Brentnall, with whom Whinfield then contracted for getting the coals he had rented from Messrs Mundy and Charlton, Stenson subsequently giving up his interest."
Heanor & District Local History Society Newsletter no. 145, October 1988.
Item taken from the Derby Mercury of 4/10/1820
Gives details of a "festival" at the opening of a new coal mine at Shipley, owned by E.M. Mundy Esq. "A noble steam engine of 120 horse power, constructed under the direction of Mr Stenson, now wields its ponderous limbs on the spot in mighty aid of manly labour." At the party (where they got through 400 gallons of ale!), "Mr Stenson, the Engineer, was chaired."