Father, John, a Weaver in Chorley, Lancashire
George is on this photo somewhere but which one?
Wm Agnew, builder – George Hodkinson, game dealer – John Thorburn, auctioneer.
Thomas Stewart, shoemaker – Walter McEwan, merchant and senior magistrate 1879 – 1882 - William Hunter, shoemaker.
John Carmont, shoemaker – James McKie, flesher – John McKeand, draper.
George is probably fifth from right on back row. He would be 66 years old.
George Hodkinson (1813 ‑1889) was a native of Lancashire who settled in Newton Stewart. He was married to Agnes Benn, and he died in his property, 33 Queen Street. He lived there from around 1862, owning it from 1866, the numbers of the house being at a later date, 27‑29. This was sold in 1921 to Messrs Plunkett, and included the business of fish and game dealers.
In 1859 he was a carter, bringing coal to Wigtownshire. James Benn, his father-in-law brought it from Mary Port, Cumbria, to Carty Port, Wigtownshire, where they transferred it to carts and had it taken all round Wigtownshire.
When the former Penninghame schoolhouse, now called Hodkinson Terrace, came on the market in 1885, it was purchased by the Hodkinson family and converted to 5 houses; it was owned by them until 1903. From 1885 to 1891, George Hodkinson was the owner of the houses that lined the Salt Box Brae along with 30, 30A Arthur Street, and 1 - 3 King Street. George may have owned some property above the station, where he gave his name to George's Well (under the former railway bridge), perpetuated in Georgewell Drive. Georgewell Drive is named after him.
It is fairly certain that George donated to the town its horse fountain that once graced Dashwood Square; it is believed that only the bowl and three figures survived its demolition, and two of these figures are in the Albert Street Garden.