The Year of the Three Kings - 1936
This was the year of the three Kings, when King George V died on 20th January 1936 and his eldest son David the Prince of Wales became Edward VIII but the uncrowned King abdicated later in December of that year, over his wish to marry an American divorcee Mrs Simpson, and was then succeeded by his brother Albert, becoming George VI (1936-1952). I was born on 7th May.
1936 King George V's from 6 May 1910 through the First World War (19141918) until his death, 20 January 1936
1936 King Edward VIII from 20 January to 11 December 1936
1936 King George VI from 11 December 1936 until his death 6 Feb 1952
There was a National flat rate increase in wages from 1st January 1936. For 18 years and over it was 1s (5p) a shift and below 18 it was 6d (2½p). The payment was restricted to 6 shifts per week.
Pumping commenced at Upper Hartshay (Derbyshire) (Butterley Co), Ripley, to protect other mines nearby. Barlborough Common (Barlborough Common Coal Co Ltd) Barlborough, Winter Bed stood. Brookhill No1 (Pinxton Collieries Ltd) Pinxton, Deep Hard discontinued in August.
Old collieries closed previously in the Barlborough area included 5 shafts at Nitticar, Pebley (Barlboro’ No2), Hollingwood (Gosling’s), Barlboro’ Common, Barlboro’ and Cottam and at Barlborough Common there was an
Old Level and Westfield.
The Education Act, 1936 Raised The School Leaving Age To 14
Bestwood Amalgamated or BA Collieries Ltd was formed on 1st April 1936 and took over the Bestwood Coal and Iron Co Ltd and the collieries of the Babbington Coal Co Ltd. The new company consisted of Babbington, Bestwood, Birchwood, Broxtowe, Bulwell, Cinderhill, Newcastle and Tibshelf collieries.
Fatal Accidents For Broxtowe
- Luke Morley (31), Loader, coal slipped down 27 Jun 1907
- John Holihead (31), coal fell 2 Jun 1908
- JR Bird (69), contractor 91s stall, fall, 10 Jan 1929, died 13 Jan 1931 due to spinal injuries.
Fatal Accidents For Cinder Hill
- 16th Oct 1899 Matthew Keeling (39), stallman 59s, coal fell on him, died in hospital
- 19th Oct 1904 Jos Harriman (57), bind fell, broken leg, died later
- 7th Sep 1910 William Leivers (37), bind fell, died in hospital from injuries
- 6th Feb1913 Noah Brown (51), stallman, clunch fell and broke his neck
- 25th Jun 1913 George Wood (34), S stall, coals fell
- 1st Oct 1915 Ernest Spencer (49), C stall, coals fell on him, died in hospital next day
- 7th Jun 1918 Jno W Durham (41), D stall, coal fell out between roof slips
- 17th Sep 1918 George H Henderson (42), 59s gate, sawn prop flew out, died next day
- 15th Aug 1925 Fred Chambers (47), timbering top of incline, bearing bars ran out, roof fell
- 5th Jan 1928 Sam Simpson (62), 77s stall, fall of roof
- 19th Oct 1931 James Harris (33), dayman, coal fell on him at 5pm, died at 10pm.
Fatal Accident Statistics for the Old Babbington Pit for the Years 1898-1937
- 11th Sep 1901 Isaac Hickman (27) and J Langham 28 both killed in 30s stall when coals fell
- 16th Sep 1910 Sam Shaw (45), stripped for work in 30s stall and died suddenly
- 4th Jul 1911 Edward Charles Rodgers (34), winder, pinned between valve gear and slide,
whilst in motion
- 1st July 1912 Fred G Whyld (27), 32s stall, large stone fell
- 29th Jan 1915 William Harris (51), 14s stall, coals fell
- 17th Apr 1919 George R Simms (21), Header, roof fell, died in hospital on 22nd Apr
- 6th Dec 1921 Horace Marshall (20), dataller on roads, bar fell out, roof fall
- 6th Apr 1922 Harry Kirk (43), dataller North Slant, 2 bars ran out and roof fell
- 15th Aug 1928 Jno Spencer (43), severe injury to spine, died 13th Oct 1928
- 22nd Sep 1937 David W Freeborough (47), surface screenhand, levelling coals out on loaded wagon
and was caught in gears.
Pumping gear was put in Clay Cross No4 shaft to protect Parkhouse No7 pit (Derbyshire).
New Selling Scheme
A new selling scheme was inaugurated on 1st August 1936 in the Midland Amalgamated District. The 200 odd coal owners of the area were divided into 18 groups.
Sheathed explosive (where the cartridge is enclosed by a layer of cooling salts to lessen the chance of firing methane gas) was introduced.
Trouble At Pinxton Green Shaft Again
Trouble was experienced at the Green shaft, Pinxton (Pinxton Collieries Ltd) (Derbyshire) yet again. The chamber behind the dam in the Waterloo horizon below the shaft was found to be full of water. The plug that had been designed in the past was lowered into the Green shaft to cut off the water, but due to dirt etc preventing the plug from seating on the 9” (0.23m) tubes, the water flow was only slowed but not stopped. Gas was entering the shaft from an old inset and men could not enter the shaft until the gas was removed. A brazier was burnt at the mouth of the steel air pipes but this was unsuccessful. At the time there was no power at the shaft as all electricity and steam had been removed previously. A small blacksmiths’ fan was fixed up to the existing air pipes in the shaft and driven by a 1½ hp petrol engine to force air into the shaft. Tests were made to see whether the gas had been cleared, by lowering lighted candles down the shaft! Eventually men were allowed to descend the shaft in a very small cage attached to a hand winch, the trip taking some 40 minutes to reach the bottom. Opening sluice valves in Langton No8 pit bottom lowered the water in the Green shaft. By running it into the shaft sump, it was wound up the shaft there in special water barrels fixed under the cages. After some difficulty eventually the plug was successfully lowered into the borehole pipe below the shaft and the water flow stopped. This allowed men to begin work behind the dam below. The manhole plug left in 1926 was knocked out using a battering ram some 18 feet (5.5m) long and eventually the water level was lowered and drained away. Air pipes were installed at this level also to get rid of methane gas. A break was found in the last length of the borehole lining tube, but as it was impossible to replace, was made good with clamps and packing. The scheme was said to have saved the company £1,500 per year on pumping costs. Some years later all this water would be diverted to Bentinck pit bottom via a connection made between Langton and Bentinck
Green Shaft, Pinxton
Summer Gifts To Workmen
In June 1936 the Bolsover Co started a scheme to give summer gifts to workmen. The company closed the pits for a week and gave £3 to married men over 21, £2 to others and £1 10s 0d (£1. 50) to single men and £1 to boys.
Derbyshire Coalite Co, a subsidiary of Low Temperature Carbonisation Ltd erected a ‘Coalite’ and by-products plant at Bolsover, where the first batteries of the World’s largest plant for making smokeless fuel were commissioned. The Low Main seam at Bolsover colliery worked since 1932 was abandoned in September 1936.
Collieries Sunk or Opened in 1936
- Horsley (Arkwright Colliery Co Ltd), 2 footrills
- Stanley drift (Mapperley Colliery Co).
Collieries Closed in 1936
Coton Park Colliery Closed After 70 Years
Coton Park (Leicestershire) (Moira Colliery Co Ltd), at Castle Gresley, sunk 1866 by Henry Green and John Taylor who formed Coton and Linton Colliery Co in 1869 and leased 800 acres of mining rights.
No1 DC shaft 591 feet (180m) and 600 feet (183m) to sump, later deepened to 712’ 0” (217m), No2 UC and pumping shaft to 660 feet (201m) later deepened to 735’ 0” (224m) to the Stanhope seam. A local name for the mine where 4 brick kilns produced bricks from local clay was ‘Strip-n-at-it’.
The pit was flooded in 1888 and production stopped. The water was pumped out and after roadway repairs had been done production recommenced in 1889.
The mine had been offered for sale in 1898 for £10,000 but attracted no buyers even though the mine was in profit.
Closed in 1899 and by 1901 the neighbouring collieries of Cadley Hill and Netherseal were concerned about the amount of water that could flood their workings.
The colliery was then acquired by the Moira Colliery Co and the shafts were deepened to the Kilburn seam. Small amounts of Stockings seam at 8’ 0” (2.44m) thick worked to June 1928, 2 brick dams erected 2 x 6’ 0” (1.83m) packed with stone and concrete in drifts to Stanhope from Main seam, heading in Little Woodfield abandoned earlier, Main coal 14’ 6” (4.42m), Eureka 4’ 0” (1.22m), Woodfield 6’ 4” (1.93m), Stanhope 4’ 6” (1.37m), Kilburn 4’ 9” (1.45m), abandoned Jan 1936, Surveyor Edmund W Eaton (913) 21 Dec 1912.
The pit began re developing again from 1930-1936 in the Main and Woodfield seams.
Manpower and seams worked:
- 1866-67 Sunk to Moira Main
- 1869: Binns, Jackson and Co
- 1870: Coton Park Coal Co
- 1874: Stood
- 1875: Coton Park Colliery Co
- 1883: Coton Park and Linton Colliery Co Moira Main, Woodfield, Stockings
- 1884: Moira Main, Woodfield, Stockings
- 1885: Moira Main, Woodfield, Stockings
- 1886: Moira Main, Woodfield, Stockings
- 1887: Moira Main, Woodfield, Stockings
- 1888: Moira Main, Woodfield, Stockings
- 1889: Moira Main, Woodfield, Stockings
- 1890: Moira Main, Woodfield, Stockings
- 1891: Moira Main, Woodfield, Stockings
- 1892: Moira Main
- 1893: Moira Main
- 1894: Moira Colliery Co 81 Main, Eureka, Stockings, 24 s/f
- 1895: 30 Main, Eureka, Stockings, 13 s/f
- 1896: 75 Main, Eureka, Stockings, 24 s/f
- 1897: 50 Main, Eureka, Stockings, 13 s/f
- 1898: 33 Main, Eureka, Stockings, 6 s/f
- 1899: closed
- 1920: closed
- 1922: closed –flooded
- 1923: 9 u/g, 100 s/f unwatering
- 1924: 46 Stanhope, 128 s/f
- 1925: 277 Main, Eureka, Stanhope, 115 s/f
- 1926: 297 Main, Eureka, Woodfield, Stanhope, 78 s/f
- 1927: 488 Main, Eureka, Kilburn, Woodfield, Stanhope, 101 s/f
- 1928: 39 Main, Eureka, Woodfield, Kilburn, 18 s/f
- 1929: 24 Main, Woodfield, Kilburn, 21 s/f
- 1930: 6 u/g Main, Woodfield, 13 s/f
- 1931: 6 u/g, 12 s/f
- 1932: 8 u/g, 12 s/f
- 1933: 8 u/g, 13 s/f
- 1934: 8 u/g, 12 s/f
- 1935: 6 u/g, 14 s/f
- 1936: 2 u/g, 8 s/f.
- Colliery abandoned July 1936.
- George Lewis -1893
- Philip Beaumont (838) -1936
- George Lewis
- Thomas Allen Wilson (414) pre 1883-1893
- WB Hodgson (1666) -1899 colliery closed
- FB Lawson (134) 1920-1924
- F Howard Briggs (2044) 1924-1927
- A Beaumont (2189) 1927-1936.
- Henry Brooks (971 service cert) pre 1883-1891
- William Limb (788 service cert) -1892
- James Dennis (777) 1892-1898
- J Davies (3332 / 2) 1925-1930.