Information and photographs submitted by subscribers are posted in good faith. If any copyright of anyone else's material is unintentionally breached, please email me

The Continued Rise Of The Industry
To 1913



Overtime Payments Ceased

Payments for overtime ceased in 1910 and would not be implemented again until 1943.


President of Board of Trade, Sidney Buxton MP (Lib), 14th Feb 1910-1914.

Pleasley Carbon Arc Lamps

The pit top at Pleasley (Stanton Iron Works Co) was lit by carbon arc lamps, one of the first pits in the country to have such lights. Stanton Iron Works Co became Stanton Iron Works Co Ltd.

Company Name Changed

The Pinxton Coal Co name changed to Pinxton Collieries Ltd.


Edward VII

George V

Edward VII died, and George V acceded to the throne and reigned until 1936.

HM Inspectorate

On 1st June 1910 the Mines Inspectorate was re-organised and William Henry Pickering (53) was appointed to the district replacing William Walker. However he was tragically killed in an underground explosion at Cadeby Main in Yorkshire in 1912 (see) whilst assisting on a previous explosion and Thomas H Mottram succeeded as District Inspector to 1919.

Senior Inspectors were Gray and Wilson.

Junior Inspectors ? Mellors, Henry Richardson Hewitt (45), Gilbert Young Tickle (34), ? Poole. WH Hepplewhite transferred to the South.

NMA Union

Aaron Stewart, Secretary of Nottinghamshire Miners Association (1897-1910) retired due to ill health and was replaced by Charles Bunfield (1910-1914).

Clay Cross Pay Day Altered

Clay Cross Iron and Coal Co altered payday from Friday to Saturday in order to make men go to work on the last day of the week. Clay Cross No3 pit sunk in 1850 was abandoned.

Screens Introduced At Markham

At Markham the Staveley Co introduced forks or screens with 2-inch (0. 078m) spaces instead of the 1½ inch (0. 059m) ones. Clearly this was a move to stop the smaller coals being sent out of the mine. The Staveley Co had 8 collieries now. Bolsover Co appointed a ‘Slack bobby’ to tour the stalls - shovels were banned for loading coal and anyone found using one was fined heavily.

Inrush Of Water at Kilburn Pit

There was an inrush of water from the side at Kilburn pit, Denby (Derbyshire) (W Drury Lowe). Boreholes were drilled ahead as a precaution to approaching old works! Later legislation would require flanking boreholes to be drilled to an overlapping pattern to the side as well as ahead when approaching an area where water was suspected to guard against this situation.

Deputies Union Formed

In 1910 a national union of Deputies, the General Federation of Colliery Firemen was formed, later to become the National Association of Colliery Overmen, Deputies and Shotfirers (NACODS).


At Kirkby Summit (Butterley Co) the High Hazles seam was entered in 1910 at the No1 shaft but was found to be poor quality and thin and development of the seam was abandoned.

Manriding at Clay Cross

Single flat tram manriding was introduced at Clay Cross (Clay Cross Iron and Coal Co) for the first time up an engine plane. Four men perched precariously on the trams and were transported several hundred yards inbye at the beginning of the shift and outbye at the end of the shift by rope haulage.

 Pit Boys

The owners sent a letter from the Nottinghamshire and Erewash Valley Colliery Owners Association that they were perturbed at the frequency of unofficial strikes by the boys causing a loss of income to the men as well as the owners. At Wollaton 48 boys were sued for breach of contract in leaving their pit without tendering strike notices and causing a 4 day stoppage of work at the pit. The owners withdrew the action providing the boys would not withdraw their labour in future.

World Records

At Mansfield colliery (Bolsover Colliery Co) there was a further World production record when an average 4,469 tons of saleable coal was turned in 7 hours 42 minutes over 5½ days in July 1910. Manpower at the pit had swelled to 1,865. Underground there were 1,100 coal face workers plus about another 380 employed as datallers, gate rippers etc plus 175 boys (under 18) employed on ganging ponies and haulage work, controlled by 20 Deputies and a couple of clerks in the pit bottom office, booking time etc. On the surface screening the coal and loading coal and supplies were 370 men and around 100 boys and 20 officials (time keepers, lamproom men, clerks etc).

A further record of 4,950 tons produced in 24 hours, in 1911. It was said that Mansfield (Nottinghamshire) was the biggest producing pit in the world at that time.


At Oxcroft (Derbyshire) (Oxcroft Colliery Co) the High Hazles seam was developed due to the Top Hard reserves diminishing, (abandoned by 1914).

canary and oxygen cylinder
Canary in a recovery container with oxygen cylinder

Mines Rescue And Canaries

The Mansfield Woodhouse Nottinghamshire Mines Rescue Station was officially opened on Yorke Street in 1910. (More about Mansfield Mines Rescue).

The Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Coal Owners Association founded it in 1909 to serve 74 mines within a 15 miles radius. The Duke of Portland donated the site. A garage for vehicles and several houses for full-time members were built adjacent. The first Rescue Station in the country was opened at Tankersley, Yorkshire, in 1902. Other Rescue stations were opened later in Chesterfield and Ilkeston in Derbyshire (a total of 42 Rescue Stations eventually opened throughout the UK).

Canaries were kept as detection for carbon monoxide gas, which is present in the mine atmosphere during spontaneous heatings and following explosions and would be taken down the pit in small cages. At least two canaries would be kept at all collieries in case of such an event. A canary’s heartbeat is approx 100 times faster than a human heart (canary 1000/min man 72/min) and in being so the gas can be absorbed that much more quickly. The gas registers its presence when the canary falls off its perch, giving a lead-time to allow a man to get to fresh air quickly before being affected.

Philip Healey and Tommy Rainbird testing for gas with a canary, 1950s

 Rescue And First Aid

The Rescue and Aid Regulations 1910 Act (and embodied in the main Code of General Regulations under the Coal Mines Act 1911).

Mansfield Railway Company

The Mansfield Railway Company was instigated in 1910, (built 1911-1916), by John Plowright Houfton, the Managing Director of the Bolsover Company, to connect the Great Central Railway to that at Clipstone.

Collieries Sunk or Opened in 1910

  • Barlow Commonside (Henry Booker and Son) Chesterfield, Ashgate 8/2.
  • Broadfields (Broadfields Colliery Co) Horsley Woodhouse, 16/5 Ashgate and Mickley, Undermanager George Vickers.
  • Brookhill (Pinxton Collieries Ltd) Deep Hard opened.
  • Bull Bridge (William Eaton) Ambergate, Norton.
  • Chew Wood (Glossop Vale Ganister Co Ltd) Broadbottom, Coal?
  • Cottam Hazel (PH Haagensen and Co) Barlborough.
  • Cutthorpe (Robt Ward) Chesterfield, Ashgate.
  • Hall Flash (Hall Flash Coal Co, R Hackett), Lower Calow, Silkstone.
  • Holly Bush (Wainwright and Ogle) Belper, Kilburn.
  • Holly Head (JC Walch and Co Ltd) Mellor, Two Shades seam.
  • Kilburn Hall (Parkin, Bell and Co) Kilburn.
  • Manners No3 (Manners Colliery Co Ltd) Ilkeston, Deep Soft.
  • New Dunston (ED Fawcett) Deep Soft.
  • Ormonde (Butterley Co Ltd) Codnor, Tupton and Kilburn 1908/10 sank through old Deep Soft and Deep Hard workings from nearby Loscoe colliery, 216/60, Manager Humphrey R Watson (2333), Undermanager J Pynegar
    (5073 / 2nd).
    (12 Pits)

In September 1910 following problems at Clifton, (Nottinghamshire) the miners were awaiting the outcome of conciliation talks in London, over a dispute in which they were involved in working conditions underground.

Collieries Closed in 1910

  • Alliance (William Hilton) (South Derbyshire) Block 4’ 0” (1. 22m), 58 yards (53m), old hollows before 1881, finished 1905 and Little Woodfield, 213 yards (195m), coal 2’ 0” (0. 61m), bat 6” (0. 15m), coal 6” (0. 15m), bat 2” (0. 05m), coal 2’ 0” (0. 61m), step fault 61 yards (55m), Sep.
  • Alma Deep Hard at 280 yards 1 ft (256m) abandoned 28 Feb 1911, PG Dickens Manager.
  • Ashgate (Ashgate Colliery Co Ltd) Tupton, May 1910, William Deakin Wadsworth Surveyor.
  • Blackfordby Coal and Clay mine, (Leicestershire), Raffarree seam 7 Nov 1911, Percy W Lewis.
  • Brockwell Clay and Coal Mine (George Shaw’s Estate) 64”, Tupton coal 2’ 3” (0. 69m) and clay 2’ 6” (0. 76m) shaft 28 yards (25. 5m) and adit, connected to Ashgate colliery 93 yards (85m) away with No1 shaft 30 yards (27. 5m) and No2 28 yards (25m), old goaf met and some Tupton and clay taken by quarrying from commencement up to 25 Mar 1910, Surveyor Hubert Blackshaw.
  • Clay Cross 3, 4 (Clay Cross Co) closed after 56 years.
  • Clay Cross No9 (Clay Cross Collieries Co) Deep Hard, dirty coal 3’ 2” (0. 97m) dirt 5” (0. 12m) coal 2’ 3” (0. 69m) total 5’ 10” (1. 78m), abandoned previously 10 Mar 1897, RS Hilton Agent, Chas Parkin Surveyor to the Co.
  • Heage (Messrs Heage Colliery Co) Kilburn coal top left 9” (0. 23m), coal worked 2’ 9” (0. 84m), water difficulties and unprofitable, Footrel Intake, Air shaft 33 yards (30m), Manager Paling Baker, 13th Dec.
  • Hill Side (T Wragg and Son) Swadlincote, (South Derbyshire), Stockings seam.
  • Hill Top (Brick and Tile Co Ltd) (Nottinghamshire), Coombe 3’ 0” (0. 91m), 24 Jun 1910, Sam Alsop ME .
  • New Dunston (ED Fawcett) Cobnar Wood, Piper, Deep Hard, inferior coal and old works, 6 Jul 1910, Leonard Kelsall Surveyor for Coke Turner and Co.
  • Oxcroft (Oxcroft Colliery Co Ltd) Clowne seam 14 May 1910 (first abandoned 31 Mar 1902), Footrill cross-measures drift from surface at 1in6 in 1908-09, J deSeyfield Surveyor.
  • Pentrich (Pentrich Colliery Co) Blackshale 5 Apr 1910, W Walker Agent Manager.
  • Streetfield (J Worrall), Eckington, Deep Hard seam.
  • Whaley (Buxton Lime Firms Co) Whaley Bridge, Smithy and Mountain seams.
  • Worthington (Leicestershire) Nether Lount.

  • Portland pit the inferior High Hazel seam trial head at 1ft 8in (0. 51m) thick was stopped in February, reason being inferior and unprofitable, Surveyor, John Holbrook, Agent, Henry Eustace Mitton.
  • Norbury pit (Hibberson Junior), Cow pit pasture, Engin(e), Lumpton pit (filled up), Burnd (Mr Drinkwater) No1 first, No2 and No3 pits (second). New sough to Lidgate Brook.
  • Peter Loo
  • Porta Bella at Bugsworth, Jodrell, 26 Apr 1910, Surveyors Cross and Eagle.

Fatal Accidents For The Year 1910 Included

  • Tibshelf William Quick (24), coal face worker, 3 Jan 1910.
  • Bolsover John Flint (32), stallman,11 Jan 1910.
  • Shirebrook William James B Dennison (37), dataller, 11 Jan 1910.
  • Whitwell William Horace Elwell (48), stallman, 18 Jan 1910.
  • Whiteley Alf Maycock (57), stallman, 19 Jan 1910.
  • Creswell Sam Hurst (37), stallman, 22 Jan 1910.
  • Pilsley William Turner Lane (50), dataller, waste fall, 23 Jan 1910.
  • Sutton colliery an assistant electrician was fatally electrocuted underground on 2 Feb 1910, however the electrician with him was rendered unconscious but recovered.
  • Wingfield Manor Harry Booth (16) 20 Aug 1910.

There were 42 Nottinghamshire pits in 1910.

Return to Top

Pit Terminology - Glossary