1967 - Page 3
North Nottinghamshire Area: 15 pits (1) HQ
- Director: H Merrik Spanton (4612) (1967-1980) (previously Area General Manager Kent, Assistant Area General Manager North Staffs (West Midlands)
- Agent and Manager Brodsworth and Bullcroft
- Manager Ledston Luck 1951-1955)
- Deputy Director: Jim William Crossland (3610)
- Chief Mining Engineer: Jim H Stone (4524)
- Deputies: Robert (Bob) Scott (4454) (Mining Services) and Keith Shaw (Mine Planning and Survey)
- Production Managers: Jack Hanman (3115), David R Mounsey (4840), Ray Gregory (4354), Jim B Kerr (5266), TJ Robert (Bob) Sales (5516)
- Planning Engineer Frank H Lee, (previously No4 Area).
Area Surveyor Harry C Ward was appointed North Nottinghamshire Area Surveyor from Division when it was disbanded. Arthur J Morley (1285) ex No4 Area Chief Surveyor became his Deputy. Robert (Bob) Waite No3 Area Chief Surveyor retired. Edward (Ted) Hinde Assistant Area Surveyor continued.
- Bevercotes: 68 shaft work, 107 s/f. Colliery General Manager: Geo D Edwards (5201), Deputy Manager: Jim EG Cannon (7674), Undermanagers: DG Martin (7363), David S Widdowson (8857).
- Bilsthorpe: 1,172 Top Hard, Low Main, 305 s/f. Manager: Peter Watt (4975), Deputy Manager: GE Wild, Undermanagers: Bas Spencer (4965), WH (Bill) Roberts (2nd), Ken F Greaves (6166), H Brian Bennett (8306).
- Blidworth: 1,320 Top Hard, 328 s/f. Agent/Manager: David Rodden (5352) (transferred to Ollerton), Deputy Manager: Alan Ingham (6343) (promoted to Manager), Undermanagers: Jack Bould (8064), Geo T Tildesley (6399).
- Clipstone: 1,372 Low Main, 327 s/f. Colliery General Manager: F Jim Hooley (4668), Deputy Manager: Jack Winnard (3909), Undermanagers: Jack Kniveton (7391), Z (Johnny) Pychinski (7551), Dave Elliott (7639).
- Creswell: 1,027 High Hazel, Clowne, 291 s/f. Agent/Manager: Sid C Carter (2979), Deputy Manager: William J Belfitt (7208), Undermanager: C Nicholls (5347).
- Harworth: 1,247 Barnsley (Top Hard), 390 s/f. Agent/Manager: William Howcroft (6090), Deputy Manager: Horace Henshaw (3328), Undermanagers: John V Faben (5203) d Mar 2008, Jack W Severn (6131) d Mar 2008.
- Mansfield: 1,456 High Hazel, Deep Soft, 339 s/f. Agent/Manager: J Brian Perry (3119), Deputy Manager: Stan Hacking (4274), Undermanagers: Eric Baker (8246), H Hudson (8041).
- Ollerton: 1,247 Top Hard, 332 s/f. Agent/Manager: David R Mounsey (4840) (promoted to Group Manager), David Rodden (5352) transferred from Blidworth, Deputy Manager: Jack C Tilston (5735), Undermanagers: Cyril Arnold (5624), Philip W Wood (7896).
- Rufford: 1,838 Top Hard, Low Main, High Hazel, 378 s/f. Colliery General Manager: Jim Hewitson (5278), Deputy Manager: C Walter Standage (5742), Undermanagers: A Peter Hall (7238), W Eddie Bumstead (8026).
- Sherwood: 798 Deep Soft, 269 s/f. Manager: George Brown (5088), Deputy Manager: Frank Mallinder (3236), Undermanager: Jack Taylor (7573).
- Silverhill: 955 Deep Hard, Low Main, Piper, 233 s/f. Agent/Manager: Colin Wells (6005), Deputy Manager: A John Burgess (6153), Undermanagers: Ron Wood (7435), John R Moulton (6113).
- Sutton: 623 Low Main, Piper, 160 s/f. Manager: A Russell Keddie (5610), Undermanager: WH (Bill) Anderson (2nd).
- Teversal: 703 Dunsil, Waterloo, 153 s/f. Manager: George K Noble (5852), Undermanager: Harry Coppell (6314).
- Thoresby: 1,499 Top Hard, 322 s/f. Colliery General Manager: Robert (Bob) Anderson (5547), Deputy Manager: John Smith (4964), Undermanager: Don Lunn (6163).
- Welbeck: 1,227 Top Hard, 319 s/f. Agent Manager: Wilf Barrett (5393), Deputy Manager: William Foster (6008) (left to NE), Undermanager: Bernard A Charles (4923).
South Nottinghamshire Area
South Nottinghamshire Area: 18 pits. Noel R Smith OBE, Director (1967-1972) (Manager Mossley Common, Astley Green, Mining Agent to Pease and Partners Ltd Darlington 1943, Senior position Durham 1947, transferred to South Nottinghamshire, Area General Manager No6 Area 1956); Deputy AGM: Harry B Bennett (2820), Chief Mining Engineer: Jimmy A Wright (3926), Deputies: Len C Hogg (3275) Mining Services), Jack Wadsworth. Production Managers: Jack E Wood (4395), Eric P Lawrence (3181), George Cook (5472), John L Collinson (5737), Stan Chadwick (3747), Les R Watkin (4376). Area Ventilation Engineer Tony Pickering.
Area Surveyor Peter Kay (1237) died in post. William H Martin (1523) was transferred from No5 Area and Charles Whyte (2678) was Assistant. Ron Sheldon (2305) from Babbington was Assistant then Area Chief later.
- Annesley: 672 Deep Soft, 179 s/f. Agent/Manager: Les Cumberland (5563), Undermanager: Marshall Robson (2nd).
- Babbington: 1,112 Deep Soft, Deep Hard, Tupton, 279 s/f. Agent/Manager: J Derek Harding (5325), Deputy Manager: William Housley (2nd), Undermanagers: Edward J Fletcher (6076), G Toplis (7577).
- Bentinck: 1,248 Low Main, Waterloo, Blackshale, 320 s/f. Agent/Manager: Robert (Bob) Haworth (5068), Deputy Manager: John D Syson (8058), Undermanagers: Jock Findley (7002), Jack Hand (8171).
- Bestwood: 1,252 High Main, High Hazles, 318 s/f. Agent/Manager: Charlie Daykin (7382), Deputy Manager: Barry Carlisle (6058), Undermanagers: AJ Baker (7471), Fred Cope (8029).
- Brookhill: 748 Blackshale, 218 s/f. Manager: Arthur Townsend (6400), Undermanager: Willis Bacon (5574).
- Calverton: 1,045 High Main, 288 s/f. Agent/Manager: William T Elliott (5567), Deputy Manager: Frank Goodwin (6332), Undermanager: J Alistair Drysdale (7637).
- Clifton: 631 Deep Hard, Piper, Tupton, 213 s/f. Manager: Wilf Clements (5817) (to No3 Area Mechanisation Engineer), Deputy Manager: Tom A Rainford (8679), Undermanager: Denis W Ward (7402).
- Cotgrave: 871 Deep Soft, Deep Hard, 245 s/f. Agent/Manager: Ken Butt (4675), Deputy Manager: Ken J Simmonds (6132), Undermanager: GF Mee (7699).
- Gedling: 1,536 High Hazles, 417 s/f. Agent/Manager: Wilf Knight (5224), Deputy Manager: George Alan Allsop (5177) (to Manager Newstead), Undermanagers: Terry E Hill (7245), GRJ Myatt (7880).
- Hucknall: 864 Deep Soft, Main Bright, 278 s/f. Agent/Manager: Cliff Rhodes (4610), Deputy Manager: Philip W Linsley (8006), Undermanagers: S Alton (4774), Harry Fisher (5894).
- Kirkby: 1,364 Deep Soft, High Main, 322 s/f. Agent/Manager: Arthur Gidlow (5896), Deputy Manager: Arthur Ball (6178), Undermanagers: Lyn Haywood (7866), Gerald F Timmins (7321), Lol Harcombe (9100).
- Langton: 550 Waterloo, Blackshale, 160 s/f. Manager Len Peach (6237), Undermanager: Albert Knight (7873).
- Linby: 894 High Main, 249 s/f. Agent/ Manager: Alan E Darlow (5476), Deputy Manager: Harry Brown (2nd), Undermanager: Denis Hutson (6726).
- Moorgreen: 1,235 Tupton, Waterloo North, Waterloo South, 434 s/f. Agent/Manager: Maurice Godfrey (5994), Deputy Manager: TB Rowlands (6013), Undermanagers: David Oliver (8338), Jack A Taylor (6263), Ken G Edwards (6826).
- New Hucknall: 557 Piper, 122 s/f. Manager: Joe H Cosford (5990), Undermanager: Charlie Hart (2nd).
- Newstead: 1,081 High Main, 191 s/f. Colliery General Manager: E Edward (Teddy) Bishop (5396), Deputy Manager: Frank Dale (5643), Undermanagers: Mick G Cox (6063), RA (Tony) Caunt (8028).
- Pye Hill: 730 Blackshale, 187 s/f. Agent/Manager: Derek M Brooks (5468), Deputy Manager: Geoff Wright (7334), Undermanager: Gordon F Froggatt (8164).
- Selston: 628 Blackshale, 80 s/f. Manager: Trevor T Allbrighton (3807), Undermanagers: Ulysees William Hallam (6083), Mick Widdas (8302) (later joined HMI).
South Midlands Area
South Midlands Area: 15 pits (Leicestershire and South Derbyshire, plus 7 others in Warwickshire), Director: William Unsworth (2391). Deputy Director (Ops): Philip Weekes. Director designate: George W Sanders. Production Managers: Ralph Rawlinson (5788), Arthur Summers (4896), Harold E Taylor (5793), Peter L Richardson (3242).
- Bagworth: 303 New Main, Minge, 122 s/f. Manager: Johnny C Baird (4780) Undermanager: Granville Fowkes (8391).
- Cadley Hill (S Derbyshire): 739 Stockings, Woodfield, Main, Eureka, 180 s/f. Agent/Manager: J Chris Boyle (5733), Deputy Manager: Len Collier (7222), Undermanager: Brian A Finch (8614).
- Church Gresley: 398 Kilburn, Stockings, 96 s/f. Manager: Lionel Lees (7262), Undermanager: Peter Moulton (6364).
- Desford: 701 Upper Main, High main, Nether Lount, Middle Lount, Yard and Lower Main, 176 s/f. Agent / Manager: Reg Price (5134), Deputy Manager: Lol Newbold (5589), Undermanager: J Geoff Illsley (8107).
- Donisthorpe: 858 Little Woodfield, Stockings, Woodfield, Main and Lower Main. Agent / Manager: Jock R Gibson (4391), Deputy Manager: A Harry Savage (7967), Undermanager: F Herbert Johnson (9460).
- Ellistown: 624 Upper Main, New Main, High Main, Excelsior, Five Feet and Splint, Nether Mount, 170 s/f. Manager: Derek Smith (5445), Undermanager: Terry P Leader (8256).
- Granville: 349 Little Kilburn and Main. Manager: John A Pash (5758), Undermanager: Cyril Clamp (6516 / 2nd).
- Measham: 471 Woodfield, Stockings, Eureka, Kilburn, 115 s/f. Manager: Alec Hindmarsh (5417), Undermanager: Len Edwards (7933).
- Merry Lees: 281 Lower Main, Yard, 81 s/f. Manager: Reg Price (5134), Undermanager: Alf H Henson (5775).
- Nailstone: 441 Nether Lount, Lower Main, Middle Lount and Yard. Manager: Stuart A Skelding (6257), Undermanager: Charlie Toon (4634).
- New Lount: 443 Middle and Nether Lount, Yard. Manager: Ken Bradford (5553), Undermanager: TD Richardson (8265).
- Rawdon: 874 Stockings, Woodfield, Little Woodfield, Main and Eureka, 229 s/f. Agent / Manager: Jimmy McPherson (5237), Deputy Manager: Mick E Skelding (7563), Undermanager: Derek Johnson (7696).
- Snibston: 571 Lower Main, Middle Lount, Nether Lount, Yard, 170 s/f. Agent / Manager: William Tatham (4103), Deputy Manager: D Nev Rady (7297), Undermanager: Geo Jackson (7518).
- South Leicester: 410 Minge, Yard, Nether Lount, 64 s/f. Manager: Harold Durkin (6168), Undermanager: W Owen Cashmore (8441).
- Whitwick: 708 Five Feet, Middle Lount, Nether Lount, 166 s/f. Manager: W John Bond (6307), Deputy Manager: Rob H Oldham (6368), Undermanagers: R Gordon Booth (7477), John W Ash (7469).
South Yorkshire Area
South Yorkshire Area (Part of): Director: C Machin, Deputy Director: John N Booth (3108).
Firbeck (Nottinghamshire): 1,180 Barnsley, 315 s/f. Manager: J Kilkenny (7645), Undermanagers: A Parrott (7285), WS Bancroft (2nd).
- Kiveton Park (Derbyshire): 868 Barnsley, High Hazel, 240 s/f. Manager: AE Pitchfork (3897), Undermanagers: John D Gannon (8616), TA Cresswell (2nd).
- Manton (Nottinghamshire): 1,081 Parkgate, 272 s/f. Agent/Manager: R Fairhurst (5204), Deputy Manager: GW Stevens (6444), Undermanagers: K Fretwell (8316), J Newton (2nd), GE Thomas (8407).
- Shireoaks (Nottinghamshire): 498 Clowne, 167s/f. Manager: Frank Thompson (7713), Undermanager: D Tuke (8558).
- Steetley (Derbyshire): 415 High Hazel, 106 s/f. Manager: JW Broughton (5469), Undermanager: WE Sellars (8937).
With the merger of the old Areas and the closure of the Divisional HQ there were quite a few ‘top management personnel’ spare, but jobs were found for most by ‘doubling up’, until they could be thinned out due to ‘natural wastage, redundancy or retirement’. Many other new titles were introduced – (however basically it was like ‘old wine in new bottles’).
Water Sample Sheets
As mentioned previously regarding the Scientific department – a sheet was designed for water samples etc showing name of colliery, sampling point etc, remarks column with details, and the distribution list was Colliery Manager, Unit Safety Engineer, Unit Surveyor, Area Geologist, Mine Geologist, copy to Laboratory file.
Mines Rescue Stations
Under the reorganisation Mines Rescue Stations became autonomous with its own management structure and local District Managers reporting to the District / Regional Manager of the Mines Rescue Service.
High Moor Drift
Mechanisation was introduced at High Moor Drift mine (North Derbyshire). Dosco roadheaders were used in development headings and 2 faces had double-ended conveyor-mounted trepanners (DERDS). One face was handfilled. The pit produced 272,455 tons in 1967 with a manpower of 283. Trackless diesel load-haulers were employed. H Brian Bennett (8306) Undermanager (extreme left) and John H Northard (4954) Area Director (centre left) with visitors and Representatives.
Oil seepage at Thoresby (North Nottinghamshire) was causing great problems, in as much that between January and May, BP recovered around 150 tons that had been collected in a special 12,000 gallons capacity tank installed by BP tank situated underground to collect crude oil found in the workings from the Bothamsall field. As with all coal belonging to the NCB, all oil belonged to British Petroleum.