Address FT Site Email CCL Info In Memory Menu Philip Individuals Search Webmaster Content Work Fionn Bob
Information and photographs submitted by subscribers are posted in good faith. If any copyright of anyone else's material is unintentionally breached, please email me

Inquest Reports - Bentinck

Menu Alan's Menu
Search Search The Site
Pits Pits
Photos Photograph Galleries


Meanings of Abreviations

  • instant - same month
  • ult - previous month
  • sen.night - two weeks previous

Inquests Annesley Awsworth Bentinck Bestwood Bilborough Broxtowe Bulwell Cossall Digby
Eastwood Gedling Giltbrook High Park Hill Top Kirkby Lodge New Hucknall Moorgreen Newstead
Shireoaks Trowell Moor Worsop Main Underwood   Outcropping        

Bentinck Colliery

Nottinghamshire Guardian - Saturday 21 July 1894


Mr Whittingham, coroner, held an enquiry at the Cricketers Arms, Nuncargate, Kirkby, on Saturday afternoon, touching the death of James Swanwick, platelayer who was killed at the Bentinck Colliery on Thursday afternoon. Mr. S. Watson, watched the case on behalf of the New Hucknall Colliery Co. and Mr Hepplewhite, Inspector of Mines was present. Martha Swanwick said the deceased was her husband, and was sixty one years of age. John William Hederley, said deceased was assisting in spragging four waggons, when he fell and the wheels of a waggon passed over his shoulder killing him instantly. Robert Slack engine driver said he could not account for the accident, deceased used a prop. A verdict of “Accidental death” was returned.

Nottinghamshire Guardian - Saturday 06 June 1896


At the Royal Forester Inn, Union Street, Sutton in Ashfield, on Tuesday Mr. D. Whittingham, (district coroner) held an inquest touching the death of Walter Cawthorn, aged eighteen years, who was killed on Saturday morning at the Bentinck Colliery, Kirkby in Ashfield. Mr. A. H. Stokes (Government Inspector) and Mr. S. Watson, manager at the new Hucknall Colliery were present. Amos Pickering, Kirkby in Ashfield, said he was a banksman at No 2 pit, and the deceased was banksman at the coal pit No 3. Deceased was employed to bank the stuff and lower the trucks down an incline. Witness saw the deceased on Saturday morning trying to place a piece of timber in the wheel of a truck, and the next thing he saw was the deceased lying on his face. He was injured on the chest, and died almost immediately. The timber deceased had used was about four feet long and three inches wide, with several nails in it. The proper method to employ to scotch a truck was place a sprag or peg in the wheel. There were half a dozen sprags there at the time of the accident, and deceased could have used one if he cared to. Witness could not say whether there were any new sprags there at the time of the accident. Had any new timber been placed on the bank after the accident he would have seen it. George Henry Hunt, Enginewright at the colliery, stated that he was attending his general duties at the time of the accident. About two minutes after the accident he saw the deceased lying in the arms of Phillips. The truck was not scotched. It had run down the incline to another truck. There were scotches on the place for the use of the deceased. Witness was on the ground at the time the father came on the ground, and he was certain that nothing was added to the place where the accident occurred until the Government inspector had visited it. The father of the deceased said nothing to him about new timber having been placed on the bank. At the time of the accident he (witness) asked the men who had gathered round to count the number of sprags lying on the ground. They counted seven lying in an area of thirty yards. The witness Pickering was recalled, and said in answer to the Coroner he did not hear Mr. Hunt ask the men to count the sprags. Continuing, Hunt said Phillips did place a new break stick on the side of the bank, about fifteen yards from the accident, on the opposite side to which deceased was going. Having given orders that the men were not to use any of the four or five sprags lying within close proximity to the accident the break stick was made for the other men to use. No new sprags were made. John Blood, under manager at the pit was next called. He was on the bank directly after the deceased was killed, but how it occurred he did not know. There was plenty of timber on the place. The jury returned a verdict of “Accidentally killed” and a rider was added that no blame was attributable to the management at the pit.

Nottingham Daily Express - Tuesday 19 January 1897


The death of Albert Phillips, aged twenty three, of 23, Batemans Yard, Kirkby in Ashfield, which took place at the Nottingham General Hospital on Friday through injuries sustained while at work in the Bentinck Colliery Companies brickyard, at Kirkby, on the 7th instant, was yesterday afternoon the subject of an inquest at the institute, by the Deputy Borough Coroner, Mr. F .W. Rothera. The case was watched by Mr. W.H, Hepplewhite, Inspector of Mines, and Mr. B. Madew, general manager.  Mrs. Emma Phillips, the deceased’s widow stated that her husband was a joiner, and at the time of the accident was engaged by the Colliery Company in shunting operations. The accident took place on Thursday January 7th; he was taken home with a crushed arm. The deceased was conveyed to the Hospital the same day, soon after the doctor arrived. Her husband had told her he was riding on an engine and that the end of one of the planks projecting from the wall caught his arm and crushed it. Charles Hopkins, of Hill Top, an engine driver in the employ of the Bentinck Colliery Co, said he was engaged on the 7th instant in moving wagons laden with bricks. It was about five o’ clock when the accident happened. The deceased was riding on the step of the engine. And was caught by one of the planks which projected over the side of the wall, earlier in the day barrow loads of bricks had been wheeled across it to trucks. Witness did not think Phillips would have been crushed had he been on the footplate of the engine. Persons often rode the step. In answer to Mr. Hepplewhite the witness said the evening was dark and foggy. He noticed the plank on a former journey, but did not think it was so near the engine. Answering Mr. Madew, witness said he had no intoxicating drink on the evening of the 7th instant, but Phillips had had a bottle of stout fetched in for him. Charles Deakin, of Kirkby foreman of the brickyard, said that the planks one of which caused the deceased’s death were placed in position of the accident by witness. He could not say how far the particular plank projected over the wall. Cross examined by Mr. Hepplewhite, witness said he was responsible for the positioning off the planks, he did not allow strong drink in the brickyard. By Mr. Madew: On several occasions drivers had pulled projecting planks into dangerous positions, it was possible that Hopkins touched the plank that crushed Phillips arm. William Robert Smith, house surgeon at the General Hospital, stated that the deceased was brought to the institution on the 7th instant. He was suffering from a compound fracture of the right upper arm. As the main artery was still sound it was deemed desirable to try and save the arm, but on the 8th, the arm was very much inflamed, and there was evidence of blood poisoning. On that day the limb was amputated, the deceased dying the following Friday, The jury found that the deceased died from blood poisoning consequent on injuries to his arm sustained when riding on the step of an engine. The jury recommended it should be a rule that of the Company that persons should not ride on step of an engine. Mr, Madew, said the Company had done its best to prevent persons riding in that position. There was no clause in the Coal Mine Regulations Act which enabled the Company to prosecute. The Coroner remarked that the jury had also suggested that care should be taken to prevent planks from projecting over the wall.

Nottingham Daily Guardian - Saturday 10 June 1899

Harry Arnold


At the Bentinck Colliery, Kirkby in Ashfield, yesterday afternoon a boy called Arnold, aged about thirteen years, living at East Kirkby, whilst at work on the belt when his shovel got caught in the gears, one of his legs was completely severed from his body, one of his arms was broken and his body severely crushed. He was at once liberated, and conveyed in an ambulance to his home, but he died on the way. (Harry Arnold)

Can you add to the Database – Is something wrong or missing? Please let me know.