1896 - Page 2
At Kiveton Park James Hall (63) engineman died on 29th Oct 1896 marking a defective clip whilst the rope was running.
On 20th November 1896 Edward Carter, ganger, aged 15, was killed in the Low Main seam at Blackwell B Winning. He was found lying under a tub and the horse was standing loose nearby. The inquest was held at the Miners’ Arms, Berrister, and the jury returned a verdict of accidental death.
Clay Cross No3 (Clay Cross Coal and Iron Co) DC 73 yards (67m), Tupton 5’ 6” (1.68m) blue bind, dark fireclay floor, (fin 29 Sep 1870) worked out, abandoned
22 May 1896.
Clay Cross No9, small area of Deep Hard, 125⅓ yards (114.5m), roof stone bind, 3’ 2” (0.97m) dirty coal, 5” (0.13m) dirt, 2’ 3” (0.68m) coal, total 5’ 10” (1.78m), black clunchy bind floor. Surveyor: Charles Parkins. Plan plotted to magnetic meridian Nov 1896.
Manpower at Clay Cross No4 (Clay Cross Co) was further reduced to 260.
Billy Hall's Pit Closed
Lodge colliery (William Hall), locally referred to as Billy Hall’s pit was closed at the end of March 1896. It was located close to the Nottingham Canal at Eastwood. Sunk to the Kilburn seam at 263½ yards (240.5m) 1879 - 6th Jan 1881, the seam varied in thickness from 2’ 4” (0.71m) to 1’ 8” (0.51m), (Thomas Evans HMI 14th May 1881 inspected the plan)
Threequarter seam at 75½ yards (69.0m) was deemed to be too thin to defray expenses and was abandoned on
23 Mar 1888 (Arthur H Stokes HMI 5 Dec 1888)
At No2 pit Piper seam at 28 yards (25.6m), bind roof, Jays 5” (0.13m), brights 10” (0.25m), seconds 2’ 3” (0.68m), = 3’ 6” (1.07m) extraction start 1880 worked to Apr 1881, (Arthur H Stokes HMI 14 Oct 1891)
Dogtooth seam, brights 6” (0.15m), hard 11” (0.28m), brights 3” (0.08m), total 1’ 8” (0.51m), depth 55 yards 1’ 3” (50.7m), stone drift down at 1in4, abandoned Michaelmas 1891, unprofitable (Execs of William Hall), (Arthur H Stokes HMI 9th Feb 1894)
Deep Soft 3’ 3 (1.0m) at 71 yards 1’ 8” (66.4m) deep, reached boundary, 25th Jun 1895, (Arthur H Stokes HMI 30th Oct 1895). The pit bottom was in the Furnace coal at 64 yards (58.5m) deep. Strong bind roof, top bright coal 11” (0.28m) adhered to roof, bottom seconds 2’ 3” (0.69m), holing clunch 3” (0.08m), floor hard stone, abandoned 3/1896, (Execs of William Hall), (Arthur H Stokes HMI 25th Mar 1896). A brick kiln and Pony stables were on the surface. A plan of the Parish of Greasley by Surveyor George H Bond in 1871 showed the areas held by Earl Cowper KG. Minerals were conveyed by deed to the Great Northern Railway on 9th Aug 1876. A plan of underground workings was produced by Coke, Mills and Coke in 1888.
Diminsdale Colliery (Derbyshire) Closed After Inrush
At the Diminsdale colliery (Derbyshire) (Chambers and Morgan) where the pit had been stood since the inrush in 1895 there was a dispute in June 1896, and the strike pay from the union of 2s (10p) a week was raised to 3s (15p). However due to the strike and the water problem, work was suspended on 30th June and the pit was closed at the end of October and abandoned. Charles Rennie Morgan signed the Abandonment plan as owner on behalf of the company on 14th April 1897.
The men were advised to seek jobs elsewhere as timber, rails and machinery were being salvaged from underground.
New Diminsdale pit (Edward Chambers and Co, Diminsdale Colliery Co) worked the Dunsil seam at 2’ 11½” (0.91m) thick. The shaft depths were 62 yards (57m) at the South pit and 82 yards (75m) at the North pit. The pit was locally known as Dimsdale.
The document shown is the one filled in by the Inspector under the Coal Mines Regulation Act, 1887, Section 38 to accompany the abandonment plans. Note the remark....I approve of the Surveyor who made these plans. I believe it was John Boot of Hucknall Huthwaite.
Managers: Charles Rennie Morgan and agent.
He was agent for both pits and also managed Pasture Lane colliery at Blackwell,
Undermanager: John Bloor. Prior to August 1853 the pit was wrought by John Mellers and then Messrs Mellers.
Managers: Diminsdale Old and Diminsdale New (Edward Chambers, service cert)
Manager and Agent Charles Rennie Morgan (817 service cert), (also for Pasture Lane, Top Hard and Dunsil).
Undermanager Thos Woodward.
Seams worked: Top Hard and Dunsil worked at the Old pit and Dunsil at the New pit. Undermanager John King (1840 service cert 2nd class).
Fatal Accidents Diminsdale Job Hardy (42) fall of roof 13 Feb 1893.
Although called Old and New pits they were sunk at the same time. Maybe it was to differentiate between the Top Hard seam being known of for hundreds of years being the ‘old working’ and the Dunsil seam some 30 yards (27.5m) below, only known since 1780 being the ‘new working’. The Old Diminsdale pit (Edward Chambers and Co) had worked Top Hard and Dunsil seams and the shafts were 54 and 60 yards (50m and 55m) deep. A reference is made on an old plan of 1860 to a Dimingsdale pit wrought by Boden and Mellors. In 1894 there were 165 men and boys working underground with 37 on the surface and by 1895 there was 124 men u/g and 36 on surface. Old pit Top Hard, Jos Smith, and New pit Dunsil, John King. These men were probably ‘big Butties’ who ran the pits.
(Manpower in 1894) Apperknowle Unstone Coal and Coke Co in 1893 (Apperknowle Colliery Co in 1894),
Silkstone Manpower 1894: 56 u/g, 11 s/f
Silkstone, Manpower 1895: 62 u/g, 14 s/f
Manager: FL Ward (309), Undermanager: JG Linneker (522)
The Following Pits Were Closed
- Bagley High Moor, 26 yards (24m) DC and 17 yards (15m) UC, met old works
- Birley Moorhole (Sheffield Coal Co) Parkgate, Manager JA Walker, abandoned 4th Feb 1896
- Brimington (SM Lancaster) Potters, adit and air pit 3 yards (2.5m) deep, finished Sep 1896 (but see Dec 1899) Surveyor William Deakin Wadsworth
- Britannia (Mr Arthur Handel Turner) Chesterfield, Tupton pit 7 feet (2.13m) dia and 38 feet (11.5m) deep to Tupton Threequarters, Surveyor WF Howard May 1896
- Bull Close (William Jackson and Co) Blackshale DC shaft 30 yards (27.5m), UC winding shaft 32 yards (29.25m), worked up to barrier to Hewitt’s old workings
- Calley pit at Ripley (Butterley Co) 26 Ell and ironstone, 11 s/f, Manager: Sam Allsop (418),
Undermanager: Joseph Massey (service cert)
- Cartwright (Coal Miners’ Co-operative Brotherhood Ltd) Main seam, coal 9” (0.23m) bat 11” (0.28m) Over coal 6’ 0” (1.83m), bat 1’ 0” (0.30m), Nether coal 7’ 0” (2.13m), total 15’ 9” (5m), 200 yards (183m), unprofitable, dip 1in4 to West, Manager, AW Knighton, abandoned 25th Nov, Surveyor Leonard Gillett
- Chisworth Mountain seam, Surveyors Blackburn, Page and West MES
- Common Side Heanor (Gillott Bros) Combe start 1883, closed on expiration of lease after 20 years, 24th June 1896, Waterloo Bye pit adjacent to present Library
- Dale (Robert Angle Dent) Two Foot or Sough coal 3’ 0½” (0.92m) inc dirt, adit sunk Aug 1894, finished Nov 1896,
3 u/g, 1 s/f, legal proceedings taken against owner, abandonment plan eventually sent in 1900
- Dim(m)insdale Old and Diminsdale New (Diminsdale Colliery Co) Tibshelf, Top Hard 54 yards (49m) and Dunsil
60 yards (55m) were abandoned on 30th June 1896, because the coal could not be profitably worked, Charles Rennie Morgan, Owner (Chambers and Morgan), per pro The Diminsdale Colliery Co, 14th April 1897, (worked prior to 1853 by John Mellors and Messrs Mellors) Manager: John Bloor (1928), Undermanager: John King (2nd), JW Fearn ME and Surveyor. Old unknown ancient workings were met, there was an overlap of 1876 workings on 1852 workings,
165 u/g, 37 s/f
- Dronfield Silkstone (Unstone Coal and Coke Co) 318 Silkstone, 66 s/f, Manager: JG Linneker (522),
Undermanager: George Bentley (291)
- Hollingwood Deep Hard (Hartington pit) magnetic meridian Aug 1882, finished May 1896
- Hopewell (Staveley Colliery Co) Deep Soft, May
- Lodge (late William Hall and his execs) Furnace coal, finished 25th Mar 1896
- Monkwood Nos 2 and 3 (Monkwood Colliery Co), Silkstone standing 1894
- Robert Murfin’s pit near Birley Moor Farm
- Nether Heage (Joseph Bowmer)
- Peacock Drift Oakerthorpe, (Peacock Colliery Co), off Heanor Road, 46¼ yards (42.25m) Waterloo 2’ 6½” (0.77m) and 6” (0.15m) floor coal, 73 s/f, shafts 49½ yards (45m) and 46¼ yards (42.25m) deep, 14th Sep, water problem, after 5 years, Manager: AD Mitton (2161), Undermanager: James Knighton (342), Surveyor JM Hindley
- Pinxton No1 was closed in May and Pinxton No3 in June 1896 (Coke and Co)
- Slatepitdale (A Holmes) Ashgate, 1/3
- Snowden (or Snowdon) Lane (Swift & Mellor) Blackshale (Silkstone), Unstone, (some coal got by Unstone Coal Co) 6 u/g, 2 s/f, worked out, met old hollows, 11th Mar, Drawing shaft 56 yards (51m), UC shaft 21 yards (19m), 19th July, Undermanager ? Mellor
- West Hallam 4 (West Hallam Colliery Co ltd) High Main or Piper, abandoned because of influx of water 30th May 1896Agent John Howard, Manager John W Lidder
- Willotts colliery (Benjamin Willott), Kilburne Tops 1’ 0” (0.30m), best 3’ 6” (1.07m), floor coal 6” (0.15m), met old hollows
- Wood pit at Alfreton (Aaron Hawksley and Partner) 16 Tupton, 5 s/f, 25 feet deep (7.5m),
Undermanager: Aaron Hawksley (329)
- In August Grassmoor Co closed half of their Tupton seam pits throwing 1,000 men and boys out of work
- Clay Cross No3 (Clay Cross Coal and Iron Co) DC shaft 73 yards (67m), Tupton 5’ 6” (1.68m) exhausted. (21)
- Inkerman (Inkerman Brick Co) at Chesterfield was stood, 4 men u/g in Threequarter and 2 on surface,
Undermanager: William Soar (374).
However an upturn in trade began later, signalling the end of the Great Depression, which had begun in 1873.
However 1896 was a bad year for coal