1988 - Page 3
Linby Closed After 115 Years
Linby Colliery (Nottinghamshire) to the south of Linby village and to the north of Hucknall and 3.8km north of the City of Nottingham.
Two 14 feet (4.27m) dia shafts were sunk 60 yards (54.9m) apart in 1869-1874, No1 shaft to Top Hard at 432 yards (395m) and sump at the Waterloo horizon 458 yards (419m), by the Linby Colliery Co and was closed on 25th March 1988 after 115 years after producing 400,745 tonnes from the High Hazles with 748 men in the financial year 1987-88.
Production began in 1873 from Top Hard seam at 433 yards (396m) deep.
Shaft positions: SK55SW,
No1 shaft UC N55 02’ 22” lat and 01 12’ 05” lat, NMG 453559, 350139,
No2 shaft DC 453518, 350418. 467 yards (427m).
Surface level 298 feet (91m) above sea level.
Coal production had ceased on 11th March 1988.
In 1947 it was a unit of No6 Area NCB up to April 1967 when it became part of South Nottinghamshire Area.
Underground Locos: 2’ 1” gauge.
- 4wDMF 22hp HE 1950
- Chatsworth House No2 0-6-0 DMF 100hp HC 1954, 0-6-0 DMF 100hp HC 1954
- Colwick Hall No4 0-6-0 DMF 100hp HC 1955
- No7 4wDMF 40DLG RH 1956
- No6 and No7 0-6-0 DMF 100hp HC 1957
- 4wDMF 4BDLZ RH 1960
- 4wDMF 23hp HE 1961
- No9 4wDMF 23hp HE 1961
- No12 0-6-0 DMF 100hp HC 1963
- No12A 4wDMF 25hp HC 1963
- No 14 Haddon Hall 0-6-0 DMF 100hp HC 1964
- 2 x 4w DMF 25hp HC 1964
- No17 and No18 4wDMF 28hp HE 1967
- No19 4wDHF 28hp HE 1973
- No 20 DHF 28hp HE 1974
- No21 4wDHF 28hp HE 1978.
During the pit’s life, coal had been worked from
- Top Hard 1873-18/1/1933, exhaustion
- High Main 4’ 2” (1.27m) inc 3” (0.08m) batt at 216 yards (197m) 1913-1930s and restarted 1942-18th July 1980
- High Hazels or Hazel 7” (0.18m) poor quality, total 2’ 8” (0.81m) at 364 yards (333m) near shafts 1927-26/1/1942 (bad conditions) and again 1975-1977 and finally 1979-1988
- Low Hazels -1949
- Dunsil bat 4” (0.10m), 2’ 3” (0.69m) -1928 two small areas and -16/6/1933, -1949
- Byron or First Waterloo 84 ft (25.6m) below Top Hard 1919-20/11/1920
- First Waterloo hard coal 1’ 0” (0.30m), bright coal 3” (0.08m), dirt 4” (0.10m), bright coal 2’ 0” (0.61m), total 3’ 3” (1.0m) again developed 1971, production May 1972-26/10/76
- 2nd Waterloo, roof mud/silt, coal 4” (0.12m), dirt 2” (0.07m) coal 6” (0.15m), dirt 2’ 0” (0.60m), coal 1’ 1” (0.33m), dirt 6” (0.17m), coal 1” (0.05m) seatearth 1977-1980
- Main Bright coal 2’ 5” (0.73m) heads pre Feb 1946, - 3/11/1949, -5/3/1971 and 1975-5/5/1977
- Low Bright 2’ 5” (0.73m) 8/2/1965-6/2/1970, difficult geological conditions
- Low Hazels -1949
The shafts at closure were 232 yards (212m) and 243 yards (222m) deep and both 14 feet (4.27m) diameter. There was a connection to Bestwood 1s LH Gate 1957 and from Calverton cable belt road in 1963. From 1980 all the production was from one seam, the High Main.
In 1882 the largest pair of air-compressing engines by Walker Bros at 1,000hp was used for underground haulage.
Pithead baths were built in 1932.
Output in 1934 was 114,000 tons.
A major reorganisation of winding and underground transport was carried out from 1955-1958, when 4.7ton skips were installed in No2 DC shaft in 1957 in place of tubs and projected output was 360 tons per hour, and a vertical bunker sunk and large capacity cable belt installed.
A Baum washery plant was constructed in 1951 with a capacity of 200 tons per hour of below 6” (0.15m) size material and storage bunkers for 500 tons.
Hand sorting of coal sizing and dirt was on two 48” (1.2m) wide steel plate belts installed in 1929.
Coal was undercut, bored and fired and handfilled and supports were rigid steel props with 6’ 6” (2m) W bars and 3 yard (2.75m) strip packs and 10 yard (9m) wastes with 4 Muschamp steel chocks in each waste.
The next system was hydraulic props and 7 feet (2.13m) long W bars on the machine run and 5 feet (1.3m) long Groetschel link bars in stable holes plus the 3 yard (2.75m) strip packs and 7 yard (6.4m) wastes.
The next system was to use 1m link bars with 5 feet (1.3m) Groetschel link bars in the stable holes and hydraulic props throughout, 3 yard (2.75m) strip packs and 9 yard (8,25m) wastes, finally a Dowty Roofmaster powered supports system installation with 5 feet (1.3m) Groetschel link bars and hydraulic props in the stable holes and total caving in the waste.
In 1954 two AB Meco-Moore cutter loaders were introduced on a double unit panel.
In Nov 1955 two-shift coaling was introduced when the first flexible armoured conveyor was installed along with AB longwall cutters fitted with 3 feet (0.91m) swan neck jibs and the coal was then loaded onto the conveyor by hand.
An Anderton shearer was commissioned in 1957 but taken out in 1960 and in Jan 1959 the first Trepanner on a double unit panel to try to increase the production of larger sized coal. By 1960 seven trepanners were at work.
The first installation of powered supports was in Dec 1959 and a second set in Aug 1960.
Manriding was installed to all working district gate ends.
A new dirt disposal plant by aerial ropeway was erected and a box and slack jiggler was operational in 1957.
New dry screens were installed in 1957 also as well as a surge bunker in the pit bottom.
A creeper to transport tubs to a higher level had been installed earlier.
Kue Ken crusher was installed in 1959 and the screens were extended.
A SMD scaffold was in use for bricklaying by 1960 and a trepanner with plough was installed underground.
Lord Robens, Chairman of the NCB visited the mine in 1961 where a new pit bottom loco house had been built in the pit bottom reorganisation.
A slung conveyor delivered coal to the loading point.
A new No1 UC shaft concrete headgear was built in 1963/64 and a fan house and fan evase operational in 1964.
A Walker McCard axial-flow type fan was installed in 1951 capable of 215,000 cu ft/ min at a water gauge of 8.7 inches. This shaft prior to electrification was equipped with a 970Kw Robey and Co steam engine with 2 double-decked cages each capable of carrying two 15 cwt tubs at peak winding times before it was converted to carry a 2 tonne mine car or 18 men per deck. Essentially it was the men and materials shaft.
New pithead baths were opened in 1964.
Of course in the early days pit ponies were used underground as at most pits in the Area.
In the Main Bright a Gleithobel plough was introduced in 1976-1977 as a stop gap. A YARMAC machine was introduced on the second Low Bright face.
The Robey and Co 1,300hp steam engine installed in 1922 at No2 DC shaft was still in use doing 80 draws an hour. Previously two 15cwt tubs per deck were wound, each deck being separately loaded.
Winding capacity was 240 tons per hour.
In 1983 a new winding house was constructed and a 900 Kw MB Wilde electric winder installed. The skips were up rated from 4.8 tonnes to 5.9 tonnes and the draws were in the region of 70 per hour.
Linby was the last pit in South Nottinghamshire Area to convert to electric winding. The steam winder was preserved and installed at Papplewick Water Pumping Station.
Originally a Waddle fan 40 feet (12m) dia provided the ventilation. In Jan 1970 a booster fan was installed in the High Main about 3 miles inbye. Also 100hp diesel locos for manriding (7 x 24 seats) up to 10mph and 25hp locos in the pit bottom.
Linby was known as Britains Champion pit in the 1960s and as the most efficient coal mine in Europe when peak output reached 1,325,675 tons produced by 1,113 men in 1963.
The machines employed at the faces were double-ended conveyor mounted trepanners or single-ended ranging drum shearers, the product conveyed down the loader gates to main trunk belts including a cable belt in 7s main road in the High Main seam with a 500 tonnes Butterley bunker at the inbye end and a 500 tonnes capacity vertical bunker near the pit bottom.
Materials and manriding in the High Main was by 75Kw and 19Kw diesel locos. Endless rope haulage inbye with a 3 rail system and 2 sets of permanently attached manriding cars. Small diesel locos took supplies to the gate ends then rope haulage up to the faces. 2-way manriding conveyors and gate belts for outbye travelling were commissioned.
The tub system of winding coal is shown to the left and an old roadway in the High main seam to the right. A 36” (0.91m) wide cable belt some 2,830 yards (2,588m) long was installed. The ropes were 1” dia and the gearhead had a 250 hp motor, 300 tons per hour at 250 feet (76m) per minute.
In 1956 the vertical 500 ton storage bunker 104 feet (31.7m) deep with a central 6 feet (1.8m) dia steel spiral loading out onto a belt in a 1in4 drift was completed by the Area sinking team. Coal was delivered to the top from twin chutes from the two trunk conveyors via a plate feeder. Part of the pit bottom roadway was enlarged to 17 x 12 from 11 x 7 feet section in readiness for the changeover to skip winding in 1957. Discharge from the 20 ton surge bunker situated at 40 yards (37m) from the shaft side delivered run of mine material into skips.
At the surface the run of mine (r.o.m.) from the skips at No2 shaft was fed at 350 tonnes per hour to a primary screen on the coal prep plant. All foreign bodies such as steel, wood and plus 6” (0.15m) dirt was removed on a picking table. Dirt disposal was by overland conveyors to the tipping complex at Newstead following the Linby tipping space being full by 1973. Thickened effluent or slurry was pumped 2 miles to the same complex. Products were sent to Rexco plants, Northern Ireland, industry, mainly British Steel Corporation, Sheffield and National and Local Authorities plus some to British Sugar Corporation at Newark and Colwick, Wiggin Teape, Ruberoid, Atomic Energy Authority and Trent-side power stations. Also some slurry to mix with coal was sent to Staythorpe power station. This colliery had quite a few customers, more than most, for the varying types of coal sizes produced.
Only about 3 gallons of water per minute was pumped to the surface but later water from Hucknall and Babbington would gravitate to Calverton through a recent connection. A connection to Bestwood in the High Main was completed in 1957 and one to Calverton in 1963.